The answer to the question posed in the title of this article is YES. The Psalms and the Prophets testify together harmoniously that the commandments of God in bodied in the law exist today, and are eternal. The reason this is so, is that God is law, and the written law is a reflection of both His person and His purposes. I suppose this same truth exists in the world of men. For what person or government ever established, and enforced a law that was not after his/its own value system and purpose? Good and righteous men create good and righteous laws. Wicked men create evil and foolish laws. Each after their person, and their purposes.
Therefore, upon this reasoning alone, how can it ever be thought that the laws of the eternal God, who is both the creator and master of everything could ever be annulled, or made void? For to make void His law is equal to making God Himself void. Can the One who created all things, and by whose power and wisdom all things are sustained, can this person be made void? The answer is obviously no, and neither can His law be made void.
The purpose of this article is to stand in opposition to the belief system that proposes that the grace of God that has been revealed by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ has made the Law void by bringing testimony forth from not only New Testament sources, but also the from the Psalms and the Prophets. The very source material that the early Apostles preached from and used to establish the New Testament Scripture, and Church.
In the great treatise that we now refer to as the Book Of Romans the Apostle Paul, who in his time was a great promoter and defender of the faith, establishes the reality that Christ stands between the Believer and the Law. This is pointedly spoken of in Roman’s 5:14 where it says, “…for ye are not under the law, but under grace.” And of course we know that this grace (favor) that the apostle is speaking of is accessed only by the faith of the Believer. Thus, it is written in another place, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9, KJV) However, this simple point I would make. If the law ceased to exist, if it had been annulled, as many choose to live as if it has been, then the grace of God (which is present in the person of Christ) would not have to stand between the Believer and the Law. But I suggest to you, as even the Apostle Paul suggested in his time, that the faith of the Believer in no wise can make void God’s law, for please take note of these words spoken by the Apostle Paul, (Romans 3:31 KJV) “Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.” It is extremely obvious to me that the Book Of Romans, along with the other New Testament books clearly testify that the Believer is justified purely by the mercy of God, completely apart from the keeping of the commandments of the law, in that NO man (with the exception of Christ) has ever been able to obey it. However, once a soul of man has been justified by the mercy of God, then righteousness in that person’s behavior, and consequently a life that rightly testifies of eternal and heavenly realities can only be obtained by obedience to God’s commandments.
Why do I as a Christian Preacher bother to speak of this point? It is because the existence of confusion, outright unbelief, and disobedience in regards to the reality that God’s laws were never made void, but are in this day, as in all times past, meant to be fleshed out. Failure to recognize and obey this truth brings forth tremendous error in the belief system, consequently the manner of life of many people. A few classic examples of this that have very far reaching ramifications are:
- That so many refuse to obey the commandment of God that teaches the keeping of the Sabbath
- The failure of so many to admit and practice the reality that the Law of God has never, and does not now allow for equality of headship between men and women
- That so many refuse to adorn the sexes distinct fully different, the one from the other. For to disobey this is an abomination in God’s sight: for He created the sexes in their persons to reflect very different eternal and heavenly realities
- Corruptions of the reality that marriage is a picture of the relationship of Christ and the Believer. The wife (or wives if he has more than one) is owned by the husband, and thus, as Christ owns all Believers the husband is to mimic Christ in all points of authority and responsibility toward his wife, and the children she brings forth. The woman is to mimic the proper actions of a Believer toward Christ in her actions and attitude toward her husband. To do less than this is to mock the very grace of God that calls us to Christ, and to divorce un-scriptually is to practice an abomination. For God hates divorce.
The Psalms Repeatedly Speak Of The Beauty And Purpose Of God’s Law
- Psalms 19:7-9 KJV-The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is true, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
John the Revelator’s Wisdom
John testifies to whoever has eyes to see, and ears to hear, that Believers have two signature qualities which meet God’s approval.
- Revelation 12:17 KJV-And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.
- Revelation 14:12 KJV–Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus Christ.
The Prophet Isaiah Was Able To Foresee
Isaiah was able to look ahead in the Spirit to a time when the Law of God would fill the earth.
- Isaiah 42:4 KJV-He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait on His law.
Jeremiah the Prophet Foresaw A Time When God’s Law Would Be Written, Not In Tablets Of Stone, But In The Hearts Of Men
- Jeremiah 31:33 KJV-But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days saith the Lord I will put my law in their inward parts and write it in their hearts, and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
The Prophet Micah Foreseeing The End Times
- Micah 4:1-2 KJV–But in the last days…..and many nations shall come,…..and he (Christ our Lord) will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion…..
Malachi Speaks Of A Believer’s Responsibility In Handling Yahweh’s Word
The Old Testament Priest was a picture of a New Testament Minister, who is a minister of the word of the Lord, which the law is apart of.
- Malachi 2:7 KJV-For the Priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth; for he is a messenger of the Lord of Hosts.
- Malachi 4:1&4 KJV-For, behold the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble, and the day that cometh shall burn them up…..(who is it that does wickedly? All those that do not abide in the faith of Jesus and do not keep His commandments) Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him at Horeb for all Israel, with the statues and judgments.
Jeremiah Gives A Reason Why Men Do Not Obey
Jeremiah testified against Israel that the reason for their disobedience was pride. Even to this day Pride of heart remains a basic reason for disobedience.
- Jeremiah 44:10 KJV-They are not humbled even unto this day, neither have they feared, nor walked in my law, nor in my statutes, that I set before you and before your forefathers.
Hosea States That Men Are Ignorant Of Yahweh’s Law, But Mainly Because They Reject His Law, and Consider Elements Of His Law As Foolishness
- Hosea 4:6 KJV–My People are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because thou hast rejected knowledge…..seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God……
- Hosea 8:12 KJV-I have written to him the great things of my law, but they were counted as a strange thing.
Amos the Prophet Spoke Of How Men Loved The Traditions Of Men, and Hated Yahweh’s Laws
- Amos 2:4 KJV-Thus saith the Lord: For three transgressions of Judah and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof, because they have despised the law of the Lord, and have not kept his commandments, and their lies caused them to err, after the which their father have walked.
Lastly We Hear The Words Of The Greatest Teacher Of All. The Lord Jesus Christ
- Revelations 22:14 KJV–Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
In the conclusion of this article my exhortation is simple. Do not allow yourself to be deceived into thinking that the commandments of the Law have no need of being fleshed out in the lives of men, and especially in the lives of Believers. For the keeping of the Law can save no man, but it is first the preaching of the Law that is used by the Holy Spirit to bring forth conviction of sin, and with out the conviction of sin the Everlasting Gospel can never be obtained by any soul of man. For men must first be convicted of sin to be able to recognize it and turn by faith into the arms of Jesus. It is then the teaching of the commandments of God that instructs men as to how to live out righteousness. The which brings forth a life that properly reflects Christ and His purposes.
Gregory A DeHart
Gregory A. DeHart is a Bible teacher who sometimes writes under the pen name of Watchman. Gregory is the sponsor of http://AnAmericanWatchman.blogspot.com, a site dedicated to examining social issues,the preaching of righteousness, and the practical unfolding of the mystery revealed from the Bible of how marriage is a picture of Christ and the Church. For a Bible based life perspective please feel welcome to visit our site, and please feel free to contact us, or post a comment. If you have been moved to consider playing apart in this ministry please feel free to contact Greg DeHart at 907-373-0355, (Alaska time) or firstname.lastname@example.org. There are needs, and ways to expand this ministry, but I need help to do it.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Greg_DeHart/249316